Future needs Tradition.
MWM can look back on a tradition almost 150 years old, always guided by a mindset of innovation. By founding the “Mechanische Werkstätte” in Mannheim in 1871, the automotive pioneer Carl Benz ushered in the era of natural gas engines. The enthusiasm and innovative drive of engineers from more than a dozen decades have continued to yield new developments and contributed to MWM's becoming what it is today, one of the leading and most renowned brands in the field of gas engines and gensets. MWM thus continued to improve the output rating, efficiency and reliability of its systems, distributed from Mannheim throughout the globe today.
Carl Benz, founder of the company
With the establishment of the "Mechanische Werkstätte Mannheim" (Mechanical Workshop Mannheim) under the name Carl Benz and August Ritter, famous engine and automobile inventor Carl Benz laid the foundation.
- 1871 Automobile inventor Carl Benz founds his "Mechanical Workshop" in Mannheim, thereby laying the basis for Benz&Cie., which later becomes MWM.
- 1879 Successful continuous operation of the inventor's first two-stroke gas engine
- 1883 Serial production of the two-stroke gas engines
- 1886 The motorized car patented under DRP no. 37435 is built at the new site in Mannheim-Neckarstadt.
- 1910 Production launch of two-stroke diesel engines for submarines
- 1911 The new diesel procedure without compressor is patented under DRP no. 230517 and in 1919 under DRP no. 397142. The pioneer patents enable the construction of small, fast-running diesel engines.
- 1922 Benz&Cie. sells the "Stationary Engines" division, which continues to operate under the new name "Motoren-Werke Mannheim A.-G." (called Old Benz or MWM)
- 1926 Knorr-Bremse in Berlin and Südbremse in Munich acquire the shares of MWM. Henceforth, MWM is a subsidiary of Südbremse, Munich.
- 1932 Development of small diesel engines (KD15 E und KD15 Z) for industrial and agricultural applications.
- 1938 First medium-speed diesel engine with turbo charging (TRH134S) and 1,400 hp at 600 rpm
- 1943-1945 Up to 70 percent of the factories destroyed, production moved out to various locations
- 1946 First new design of an RH engine (RH348) and production launch of small diesel engines for tractors
- 1953 First production of small air-cooled diesel engines with patented MWM equal-pressure pre-chamber method
- 1954 100,000 small diesel engines built since 1946 and supplied to numerous tractor and construction machinery manufacturers
- 1972 MWM celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- 1979 MWM celebrates "100 Years of Engine Building in Mannheim".
- 1985 Deutz AG, Cologne, acquires the majority of the shares of MWM in Mannheim and Südbremse in Munich.
- 1989-1991 MWM takes over the large engine production of Deutz AG (528/628 and 540/640 series) in Mannheim.
- 1992 MWM receives an order for the design and production of prototypes of an electronically controlled 6,000-hp locomotive engine. This engine is the forerunner of the current TCG 2032 gas engines.
- 1995 MWM's small diesel engine production is discontinued, and the production facilities are sold to China.
- 1999 MWM is sold to Deutz AG for DM 34.3 million. The operational business for the engine division passes to Deutz AG.
- 2005 Deutz AG founds the independent subsidiary Deutz Power Systems.
- 2007-2008 Sale to the financial investor 3i and re-branding to MWM GmbH
- 2011-2013 MWM GmbH becomes part of Caterpillar Inc., MWM GmbH becomes Caterpillar Energy Solutions GmbH.
- 2018-2019 Presentation of TCG 3016 and 3020 V20, which were designed from scratch
Privacy Note Youtube:
Google Cookies on Play!
To embed videos in this website, we use YouTube in the privacy-enhanced mode. This means that a YouTube cookie will be set and other data processing procedures beyond our control might be triggered only when you play a video.
MWM Representation in Moscow
Sales & Service
Caterpillar Energy Solutions GmbH
Bldg. 1, 5/2, 1st Kazachiy per.
T: +7 495 234 49 41